Some post-modern chump fumbling his way through the void.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006


This is the coolist toy ever, and I am the new proud owner. Its the main character from Ghost World. One of the coolist movies ever, and a bitchen comic too. I am a bit of a comic nerd. Not the lame superhero ones though, just the really boring comics that go on about life and how much it sucks. Those are the best. The ones that take bits of life and make them look meaningful by putting them on a pedestal of insignificance . It makes life seem beautiful, as if all the stupid thoughts that you have during the day about how the light casts itself across the room means something to other people too. I love also how these comics exploit our more perverse thoughts and in turn makes them seem unique and purposeful. If you haven’t already, you need to read Optic Nerve. He has some of the most beautiful comics around. Indie comics rock.

12 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I never got into comics. Why do you like the 'how much life sucks' comics? One of my favorite animated movies was the Incredibles. That was a neat movie.

11:48 AM

 
Blogger Josh said...

i guess because the idea of people with really great powers is a bore to me. Superman for instance. What good is it reading about someone that can't be hurt? What risk is there? But real people. Thats exciting. Thats interesting. Thats the stuff art is made of.

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

why wont my pic post?
grrr.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Blackpetunia said...

technically, Superman could be hurt, by cryptonite!
I like comics like the Sandman which does have the superhero theme, but it's different because it's really quite literary, which is why I refer to it as a "graphic novel" instead of comic. I've enjoyed others as well. One of the coolest non-superhero comics I read was one titled "Kafka". A friend had it years ago, and I haven't been able to find it since. It was very much like a Kafka book, I don't think it even had words, just images, maybe it had words, can't remember.

7:21 AM

 
Blogger Josh said...

yea, it had words. it was really good.

12:47 PM

 
Blogger locomocos said...

other than the sandman and a couple of Sin City graphic novels, i haven't read many others.
i used to really like Betty and Veronica.
when i was 8.

I really liked Neil Gaiman's Stardust novel! did you know they made it into a graphic novel?
it was really good!

2:28 PM

 
Blogger Blackpetunia said...

I think Bettie and Veronica were just the spin off from Archie, which my sister and I read quite a bit in the early years. I totally forgot about that, but that was probably my first comic book experience.

8:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad once found an X-Men comic in an airport and brought it home to me. It was pretty cool, but I'm not much of a comic book person. I instead preferred the cartoons and movies based on comics: X-Men and Batman. X-Men is all about sociology: two groups of oppressed people--one radicalized and militant and the other working through peaceful means--trying to change their world. And Batman was about real people... with severe personality disorders... who wore costumes. Ghostworld was an awesome movie!

10:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
your a funny dude.
johnny

3:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

josher,
your a funny dude
johnny

3:37 PM

 
Blogger This and That said...

where did you get this toy? That is one of my hubby's favorite movies and he has a serious thora birch crush. would love to get him one.

10:18 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

You can get it here www.freebento.com yea, It's awesome!

7:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home